Monday, April 7, 2014

Blog Hop: A Little About Me


I was invited to this blog hop by A. L. Kessler, make sure you go check her out here!

About A.L Kessler:

A.L. Kessler is a paranormal romance and urban fantasy author living in beautiful Colorado Springs, CO. When she’s not at beck and call of the household—made up of her cats, dog, daughter and husband—she can be found hard at work on her next novel. In those rare moments of free time, she can be found playing video games, crafting, or reading.


About K. Margaret!

1) What am I working on?

Currently I am working on the first two books in a paranormal/romance series called Dark Dreams. The first book, Dare to Dream, I’m hoping to have out by the end of fall 2014 and will introduce the reader to the world of demonoids and slayers.  The second book in the series, Endless Nightmare, will most likely be a novella, and is the origin story of my absolute favorite character of mine, an empusae demon apyly named, Empusa.  More information on both of these stories will be up in my blog this summer.

2) How does my work differ from others of its genre?
I think one of the biggest difference in my books is the way I portray demons. While most base them off of a religious basis, and usually have their counterpart, the angel, included, my demons are just like any other creature. There are good ones, bad one, and everything in between.

Also, while I do write romance, I have a different take on happily ever after than other writers in the genre. Happily ever after to me doesn’t necessarily mean two people ending up together, getting married and having babies. I listen to what my characters say and don’t force them into the cookie cutter box if that’s not where they fit. Now, I will say some of them want to be in that box and I won’t fight them on that.

3) Why do I write what I do?

A couple years ago a friend of mine asked me to help her with a storyline she was writing for a group we RPed in together. At that time, writing was something I did for fun and never really thought about doing it for anything more than a small escape. This one character changed all of that. She became part of me and helped me create worlds and being that I never would imagined could exist inside my head.  She just continued to tell me her story and I knew that I had to write it. The more I wrote, the more confident I became. I write what I do because one person handed me the keys to my creativity in the form of an empusae demon, named Empusa.

4) How does your writing process work?
Not sure if you can what I do a process. Once I have a basic idea in my head of the characters, location, and basic plot, I first like to write down descriptions of each character that will be in the story. Next I like to draw out a timeline of events so I have a basic idea of what needs to come when. Then, I just start writing. Sometimes it just flows and sometimes I need to stop in the middle of a chapter, but it aside and come back to it later. I have discovered that usually when I am blocked, it’s because the characters aren’t ready for that particular scene. I’ve learned to follow those voices in my head instead of ignoring them.

No comments:

Post a Comment